In this episode, Liz Rachul at Edmonton Christian School-Northeast Campus in Edmonton, Alberta, invites us into her grade 4/5 classroom which uses Teaching for Transformation to invite kids to meet real needs for real people in their learning. Join the ESC “Surfeit” as we learn:
- some cats don’t have owners, they have staff.
- that cups and goblets are not the same.
- that there’s 17 hours of daylight in Edmonton for summer solstice (and only 7.5 hours during winter solstice).
- the Edmonton Mall has a lake in it!
- the profound impact that prayer has had on Liz’s career path.
- how Liz got to re-write the story of her relationship to her own teachers.
- how to use a math lesson as an opportunity to serve sandwiches at the Mustard Seed Church.
- that buses are for doing field work not field trips.
- that community partners provide amazing expertise and authenticity for student learning.
Connect with Liz at L[email protected].